Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Simpang Asia

So I went out last night and tried some Indonesian food. I’m not gonna dog all Indonesian food places because this is the first time I’ve ever had it and I think its safe to assume not all of it is this underwhelming and the service isn’t this bad. This place is called Simpang Asia on National Blvd.

When we first arrived it sounded like someone was being raped nearby. Turns out there was a karate school nearby. First we ordered drinks. I got a lemonade. The weirdest lemonade I’ve ever had in my life. At first sip it was super bitter. Then I stirred it and it became super sweet. Then bitter again. Then sweet. What the fuck? As an appetizer I got these little chicken on a stick things. They were good.
Photobucket

I also got some wontons (they were called something else). They were alright but really greasy. Speaking of which, where are the napkins? (5 minutes later) Yeah, some napkins would be really cool right about now.
Photobucket

Cam got this weird ass looking vegetable deep fried things called spider. No, I wouldn’t touch them even though they were fried. I didn’t go to Uncle Moe’s damn it.
Photobucket

So the main dish comes. Its kinda warm. There are just four shrimp and a couple little pieces of chicken. Before I know it the dish is totally cold and dry. Speaking of dry, I sure would like something to drink. Wonder where the waiter is. Oh, there he is…ignoring us. Wait, maybe this time--no. Still ignoring us. By the time we finally got some attention I no longer wanted more of the chicken things or a drink. Just the check.
Photobucket

So okay to bland food, a weird atmosphere, and service that is damn near not tip worthy. Anyone else know of a good Indonesian place I can go to?

No comments: