Friday, September 9, 2011

Zankou Chicken on Sunset

Yesterday me and South Paw went to Zankou Chicken on Sunset a little past Western. This is one of those places that I have heard of but swore I never saw and would never think about when anyone said “Where do you wanna eat?” I am so glad I finally tried this place and will definitely be heading there again. I have no idea what the other locations are like so I have only this one to base my experience off of. South Paw kept saying that the chicken was amazing so even though they had a bunch of other stuff I was getting the chicken. She also warned me about the garlic sauce (paste?) that they serve with their food. After assuring her that I wouldn’t be kissing anyone anytime soon and that it didn’t matter how strong it was, we ordered our food.

After proclaiming that I wanted some stick meat (that’s what she said…) I got the chicken shish kabobs and a large drink. It also came with what Zankou’s website describes as “garlic and tahini blended together and topped with olive oil and paprika.” It was very good but I was so focused on the garlic sauce I kept forgetting to eat it. That colorful stuff is some pickled beets so you know I didn’t eat that. South Paw got a half chicken that was an actual half chicken. Some places say they are serving you the same and I know its not. This really was.



Atmosphere. Very plain but okay. Large windows all around and very bright. We were there in the early afternoon and there weren’t many people but as we were finishing up and leaving more people came in. Plenty of seats but no set up if you brought a large group. About you and three of your friends could sit together comfortably.

Location. This was the Sunset location. Its in a spot that you could easily miss if you weren’t paying attention (like I wasn’t for the past decade or so). Parking is a whore so you better be up on your Tetris skills of you want a decent spot. There is plenty of street parking on the side street though. Not the prettiest spot but I have eaten in far worse neighborhoods, which for whatever reason always has the best food. The dirtier the sidewalks the better the food. Go figure.

Service. Nice people at the counter who actually listen to what you’re ordering. They call your number when you order your food so no wait staff which is not a problem for me. They got our order right and that was good enough for me. Plus they wore Zankou shirts and I wanted one.

Food. The food was fantastic. What was supposed to be hot was hot and what was supposed to be cool was cool. The chicken was seriously some of the best chicken I have eaten and the hummus was good and I usually do not touch that. At one point we just stopped talking and ate. I know that sounds weird but I tend to be a motor mouth when eating. The rice was super good and the garlic sauce was just as good as South Paw said it would be. My meat was not on a stick though. Frowny face.

Price. Kinda up there but not really. Two orders of food is enough for three. If you spend more than $30 you’re doing it wrong. Large amount of food for what it costs and the fact that it really is good makes it worth it. You will not break your bank eating here.

No comments: