Sunday, September 30, 2018

Diabetes Donut Tour 2018




Today Miss Jackie and I traveled around the city (meaning I sat while she drove) in search of delicious donuts. She mentioned this place called Dona's a bit ago so we headed there even though it was all the way in Downey. She crazy. This place is amazing. I was kind of nervous to get crazy donuts because of one place JP and I went to a while ago but decided to go head and try some anyway here. This is one of the cleanest donut places I've been to and very open. There is no long line out the front door. All the employees engage you. They are not rushing you. No music blaring. Just a cool spot with good employees and as it turns out and 8/8 tasty ass donuts.


I can not remember the name of all the flavors we got but like I said we got eight of them. We got three of the ChicharrĂ³n ones. That sounded so crazy that I ha to try it. They make them fresh and they get softer over time but the taste stays the same which means that it stays good. That donut made no sense but I loved it. The horchata one was really good. That was the thing with this place. Even the ones that seemed like they should have been mega sweet were just damned good. There was a banana and peanut butter one that had the perfect amount of each spread so it wasn't too much of one and the peanut butter didn't choke me.


The hibiscus one was really good! I did not expect something that color to taste the way it did. It was tart but this magical amount that didn't make my face scrunch up. I have had some donuts that were so tart I couldn't get past one bite but this was not one. And that crazy purple glitter one at the bottom was the Selena. Do not be fooled by the color. It is not as sugary as you would expect. It also had a lavender/lemon glaze to it. I'd for sure get all of these flavors again but the horchata and ChicharrĂ³n were my favorite. Miss Jackie liked all but would likely pass on the banana peanut butter one next time.


Next we went to Donut Friend in Pasadena. Id been here a few times with JP and knew exactly which ones I wanted. We got the Bacon 182 which Miss Jackie did not like. I did just not as much as last time because they added a bit too much of the coconut this time. Not a bit. A lot more. And they were darker than the previous time. Both of us liked the Polar Berry Club because it tastes like it was just made. I still like it better the next day when it is nice and cold. And of course we had to get the caramel one. Miss Jackie liked this one and to prove I am a decent human told her to take a whole one home. Sitting here writing this now I may possibly regret this decision. It is still one of the best donuts I've had ever. Thanks to Miss Jackie for all the crazy driving around the city.

No comments: